WANT TO JOIN?
We’d love to have you!
WHAT’S IN IT FOR YOU?
– Service learning hours
– Pizza & high fives
– Organizing and hosting special events
– Designing classes for future Yollo youth
– Warm and fuzzy feelings inside
– Special museum privileges
– Work with artists, peers, and staff to collectively explore art and your ideas
– Develop your civic engagement skills by becoming a more active participant as you help connect contemporary art to the community
– Respect and adoration (duh!)
– Have an important public role in an established museum
WHEN & WHERE DOES THIS PROGRAM HAPPEN?
The YYC meets at Yollocalli (2801 S. Ridgeway, Chicago, IL 60623). We aim to meet weekly, currently Friday afternoons from 4-6pm, however this can change based on the schedules of our members.
The Yollocalli Youth Council is an opportunity for youth (high school and college aged) to play an instrumental part in the development of classes, workshops, and special events for young people at Yollo. The council works with Yollocalli’s Youth Development Advisor to brainstorm and implement youth activities (art contests, grant writing, and special events like movie night), and plays a key role in class development (course and teaching artist selection).
By developing a Youth Council, Yollocalli seeks to bridge the cultural gap between organizational staff and the youth it serves. Sustaining a youth voice within Yollocalli has reciprocal benefits: it helps ensure the program’s mission of creating student-centered programming with an emphasis on youth culture, while at the same time providing youth with opportunities to become active agents of change in their community and engaged, impactful members of the organization.
OUR MISSION STATEMENT:
Our mission is to represent the youth voice of Yollocalli by:
– Providing our input on current and future classes
– Proposing special events, grant ideas, and other plans
– Assisting in planning, promoting, and implementing programs/ services
This youth involvement will allow us to learn from one another and share our creativity to better Yollocalli and the community.